Tuesday, March 23, 2010

More About SHIP: My Conversation With The County Coordinator

Aspect of Need Addressed: Medical, Financial

Picking up my search when I left off yesterday, this morning I spoke to Wendy Poulsen, Mercer County coordinator for the SHIP program. My objective is to learn more about the interface between Medicare and Medicaid to help my son enroll in a new Medicare Part D prescription drug program, now that his previous provider, Fox Insurance, was disqualified by Medicare. (See my previous post of this.)

Wendy told me that her position as the Mercer County Representative for SHIP is funded through grant from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, or CMS, which is channeled through the NJ Department of Health and Human Services. As the County representative, Wendy doesn’t actually serve clients directly. She coordinates volunteer counselors who are certified by CMS to provide help to seniors and disabled who need help enrolling in their Medicare plans. She took down my son’s information and will pass it on to one of her counselors who will get back in touch with me. There are apparently certified counselors throughout the County.

The certification process is apparently intensive. Candidates gather for a five day training course, then take an at-home examination. After they are certified, the volunteers meet again quarterly at local locations during the year for refresher courses. They then engage with Medicare recipients during the open enrollment period from November 15 to December 31 to help them navigate through the shoals of the Medicare enrollment system. These training programs are run by the SHIP Coordinator for the State of New Jersey, Ms. Deborah Breslin, who has run the program for the last 13 years.

So, I'm still haven't arrived at the destination of this search. But I'm closing in on it. At least now I know where I will likely end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment