Friday, March 19, 2010

Court Date: Consequences Of The Relapse

Aspects of Need Addressed: Legal

Last Monday my son went to court. I tagged along. He went to answer two misdemeanor charges issued to him during his blacked-out relapse bender now three weeks ago, just before he was admitted to the Emergency Room with a Blood Alcohol Content nearly five times the legal limit. The case offered an opportunity to encounter The System in its legal guise at the local level. We also learned about seeking out a court-appointed attorney.

The charges were Disorderly Conduct and Harassment. My son somehow wound up in the kitchen of a local downtown restaurant during dinner time, entering from a service alley through the back door. The restaurant owner called the police. When they saw my son, the police called for an ambulance. As the police and EMS were trying to get him in the ambulance, my son launched a swearing tear, tongue-lashing the cops and the two lady EMS drivers. My son doesn't have any recollection of this episode at all.

Court-Appointed Attorney?

Before appearing before the municipal judge, my son first spoke with the prosecutor, who had not read the police report, but first asked if my son had a lawyer. When my son said no, the prosecutor asked if he would like to have one appointed to him. Given his indigent status as an SSI and SSD recipient, my son was theoretically entitled to have one. He said yes.

Back he went to the judge, who gave him an application to complete stating his financial status. With his meager personal income just about equaling his meager expenses and no assets besides a car, my son qualified financially. But as it turned out the charges would only permit the engagement of a court-appointed attorney if there was to be a "consequence of magnitude." The judge turned to the prosecutor and asked what he would seek a "consequence of magnitude". In other words, was the prosecutor seeking a jail sentence?

"My God!" I whispered under my breath. Would he really seek a jail sentence for my son?

Thankfully, my anxiety was quickly dispelled when the prosecutor confessed, while now quickly scanning the police report, that jail was probably not necessary in this case. There had been no physical contact. No one had been hit or harmed. He also surmised that there might be something more behind the case that perhaps he ought to explore further with my son before recommending a consequence. The judge agreed. She directed the prosecutor and my son to step out into the hallway to work something out.

Working Things Out

The prosecutor read through the report more carefully and asked my son what happened. Having blacked out, my son couldn't remember, but he did confess that he had been drinking heavily. He then explained his recent treatment at Princeton House, without going into too much detail. He also described his previous challenges with substance addictions. The prosecutor now understood better the situation. He proposed two options to my son.

If he wanted to settle the case that day and been done with it, my son could plead guilty and pay a fine. That would create a mark on his record, but it could be expunged after five years upon my son's initiative to get it expunged. The alternative was to dismiss the case, subject to the court receiving testimonial letters. One would have to report a professional evaluation of my son by a licensed drug and alcohol counselor. The others would be letters from both his psychiatrist and psychologist that he was complying with their recommended regimens (which he is). If that course was agreeable, the prosecutor would ask the judge to postpone resolution of the case one month, pending receipt of the letters.

Good Outcome

The choice was simple: go for the dismissal. In short order, they were back before the judge to explain their agreement, and the judge agreed to postpone the case. This was a very good outcome.

No one likes to go to court. It is especially hard for someone with a mental disability. As a father, I was worrying about possible harsh, awkward or embarrassing handling which might to further stigmatization. In this municipal court, the process went better than expected. The judge and prosecutor, though business-like, sensed the underlying situation and led the case in a good direction, while also treating my son in a regular and respectable way. In this case, The System was benign. Thank God.

No comments:

Post a Comment